Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Chasing Lions and Rescuing the Flock


1 Samuel 17:33-35

33 Then Saul said to David, “You are not able to go against this Philistine to fight with him; for you are but a youth while he has been a warrior from his youth.” 34 But David said to Saul, “Your servant was tending his father’s sheep. When a lion or a bear came and took a lamb from the flock,
35 I went out after him and attacked him, and rescued it from his mouth; and when he rose up against me, I seized him by his beard and struck him and killed him.

So my coworker and I were talking about this verse earlier and he starts telling me about how weak Lions really are if they get tired out.  And then we discussed that this was probably the reason David could go after the Lions,, maybe even Bears, and be successful at rescuing the sheep.  I thought, I should write about that and then it hit me:  We have a lot of “lion” preachers today devouring the sheep, but if we, like David, will continue the pursuit of righteousness and the Elohim of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, they will tire.

They will become weary and just maybe we can rescue the sheep from their mouths.  We need Adonai’s courage to pursue, His word to sustain us, and His patience to wear them out.  We will need His kindness to care for the wounded ones and His wisdom to know how we approach them.  This was an amazingly simple insight and it came in the most unspectacular fashion.  Sometimes it just happens that way if we are willing to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment